Instead of throwing away the above troughs that I made for my MA degree show I decided to, with the help of my Granddad and his workshop, turn them into coffee tables!
Having come up with a design the first thing to do was create a higher base for the tiles so that the edge wasn’t too deep. Easily done with Granddad’s tools!
Then we attached the hairpin legs that I bought from Wicked Hairpins. I went for the three rod leg because I thought that the wooden trough with the tiles would be heavy and so the extra support was a safe bet.
The next step was to layout and stick down the tiles to either side of the coffee table. It took ages to find these tiles. I wanted a specific colour and style of pattern similar to that seen on the buildings in Portugal. These ones are from Milagros a Mexican shop that sells a range of handmade tiles and other goods.
The first idea for the table was that it would be the tiles and then a strip of grout… not the best idea as it seems. Having grouted the table (above image) we left it dry and it cracked – so back to the drawing board.
After another indecisive gap I decided on these little mosaic tiles from a local bathroom store. This worked so much better than the grout. So then the table was pretty much done just needed to paint it. In the design the centre section is to be filled with succulents. It has been left empty for now in case it needs to be transported anywhere.
And here’s the final piece!
It had its ups and down but I got there in the end. I also have the materials to make another one which will hopefully wont take as long to make as this one did! Huge thanks to Granddad and his patience with my unexpectedly difficult design.
It is also now available to buy on Etsy!
This design was made in answer to a made up brief for John Lewis. The brief outlined the size of the room and the wants and needs of the clients. Here is the brief in short; warm tones, show off the victorian oak floorboards, to include an office area, spaces to display photographic work, be able to be used by all five family members and a stylish design. Above is the initial mood board of spaces, products and colour combinations
After finding existing images that I thought related to the space and the clients brief I then grouped a collection of colours, patterns and materials for the space and looked at how they could work together.
Having chosen the colour scheme and taken a look at the materials and patterns available within John Lewis the next step was to look at the products in the grey and yellow colours chosen and that will go within the space. The above two boards show the various products that would work and the options for accessories and furniture for the room.
These next two boards show the chosen furniture for the room. Starting to group them together and layer the materials and patterns on top of each other.
Having chosen the furniture the next step was putting them together within the context of the room. Creating these visuals with the use of Autocad and Photoshop. The above image and below three show the views of the different walls and placement of the furniture in relation to the space. These visuals also show the suggested arrangement of the photo frames on the walls.
The final below board shows some very simple 3d visuals of the room and an Autocad plan of the room. The time frame for this project was very short, if I had more time to work on this project these final visuals would be more detailed and engaging rather than the blocky simple images they currently are.
We really enjoyed working on this project and hope you like what we designed!